View Single Post
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:04 AM
acesimmer is offline
Find More Posts by acesimmer
Registered User
acesimmer's Avatar
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,426 Posts
The Beginning

A year ago I decided to try out the FOAM scale warbirds that you see all over these days. After flying one of the larger models being this T-28.... I was impressed enough to go all electric. So I rapidly built up a fleet of several types including EDF's.

Then I purchased an estate sale that had twelve balsa models that I converted to electric. WOW! What a difference. The balsa ones fly so much better on electric without the mess of fuel residue and noise.

So being a Magyver type, I started to mess with sound systems, telemetry and other stuff. I reached my limit of experimentation and still found myself getting bored. So I sat back and made a decision. I wanted to build versions of these models in composite and reduce my fleet to just several of the best flying birds in my fleet that I enjoyed the most.

I decided to sacrifice my T-28 to make a set of molds from. Many guys build a balsa kit or a scratch built plug of either balsa and or foam. Then detail them and make the plug. I approached this a little differently. I wanted to test fly my model and see if it was worth the time and expense prior to making the molds. With the low cost of these foam kits and the fact that they are quite close to scale in many cases it was a no brainer.

So this build begins half way through the process due to many asking for me to make a build thread. So here we go..........
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Last edited by acesimmer; Nov 09, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote