View Single Post
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by Gamalier
USA, NC, Hope Mills
Joined Jan 2010
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
A decent BIG tip ... plenty of WATTS .... = no melted body, good joint.

I have a little addition to the good soldering advice in posts here ... with big diameter leads - I make sure the strands are neat and twisted ... then flatten the lead end, tin and solder ... so it lies on the Deans tab nicely.

Nigel

There's ways to avoid melting the plastic on the Deans.

1) You get everything ready (wires, shrink tubing, etc)
2) Thin the wire all around
3 Thin the Dean connector
4) Get the wire with pliers or just put something to shield the heat and grab it by hand. Balsa, a piece of fiberglass cloth a regular cloth or even a couple folds of napkin.
5) Re-thin the cable but keep the heat in it and put it in top of the Deans that way the connector solder melts fast.
6) Hold it until it get solid and shrink the tubing

I have done plenty of connections using this method and it never fails. I have a Weller WES51 and that's hot enough to get the job done.

See below the connector I solder into a Deans to charge my EDF jet packs. The connector has 8 awg gauge wires and 8 mm bullets. As you can see you can solder thicker wire into a Deans. Oh and I forgot to mention that the wire is straight into the connector not into some type EZ-Connector. I don't like those because they provide another point of failure if you get a bad solder point into it.
Gamalier is offline Find More Posts by Gamalier