Thread: Discussion Sailing on a budget
View Single Post
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by lincoln
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,235 Posts
The stuff from Hobby King is cheap, it's true. Some of it is ok, you'll need to ask an experienced modeller who's flown the Hobby King stuff and a good number of other sailplanes as well.

Around here, it's almost auction season, and it's often possible to pick up a good beginner's sailplane for $50 or so, maybe less. You can also pick up old radios that are not on 2.4 inexpensively.

I agree the Radian is good, although I think it needs stiffening up, but that's easy to do. Also good to reinforce the nose a bit. I prefer wooden gliders for trainers. My favorite is the Olympic II, but the Sig Riser 2M and the Gentle Lady are also good, as well as a bunch of others. You probably have a bunch of good designs available to you that I've never heard of. You can even build one from plans if you are moderately ambitious.

It's advisable to fly someplace where if you crash you won't hit anyone! And sailplanes can go a long way. It also helps to have instruction. I learned before they were available, but people tell me that simulators are useful. There's a free one that I kinda like called crrcsim, written by a couple of guys in our club. The handling seems to be more realistic, at least for gliders. There's a Yahoo Group dedicated to it. The crashes are MUCH less expensive.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
Last edited by lincoln; Nov 08, 2012 at 09:32 PM.