Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by Stu L
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2012
312 Posts
Discussion
Sailing on a budget

Hi guys,

I'm Stu and completely new to sailplanes. I hope this is the right area to post for some help!

I've been searching and reading for a week or so, but I'm left with a couple of questions - I wonder if you'd be kind enough to help me out?
Having toyed with the idea a few months, I really want to try a sailplane. I normally race off road rc buggies, but am finding that I fancy a change. My main question is can this be done on a budget?

You know the guy at the rc track with a BMW and all the latest kit dazzling on his car? I'm not that guy. I'm the young chap at the back with the slightly past their best tyres, who still hasn't converted to 2.4Ghz because his old Futaba still works perfectly well.
I know there are some cheap sailplanes out there, but are they going to work for a beginner? In rc cars you buy good quality new gear, or if you can't afford new, you buy good quality used gear. Does this apply to sailplanes? There are loads of cheap ones from hobbyking for example, but should someone new be staying clear?
Funds will definitely be tight as new baby is on the way. I can save a little each month, but I'm not likely to have mega bucks any time soon. Perhaps now isn't the time without a reasonable budget to commit?

The last thing I wondered was can I fly anywhere? Or do I need to find a club and little airfield? I haven't found much locally, so if I need to budget in a big travelling cost, that might influence what I do too.

Really appreciate any input you might have.
Stu
Stu L is offline Find More Posts by Stu L