Thread: Discussion News - HK DH110 Sea Vixen..
View Single Post
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:40 AM
Eric Henderson is offline
Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
Registered User
Eric Henderson's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier View Post
Good things are worth the wait...How would all those impatient people feel if they had to keep returning their cars to the dealer because of constant design flaws...Does anyone remember the infamous "TRABANT"

Oh by the way Scotty...will the retracts fold the correct way..I rejigged mine on the Vampire...See pic.

Im not complaining Cant beat around $A120.00 for value..Gives me something to improve on, something I like to do..
Very nice job on the gear and flaps. I'm with you on changing things to meet my taste. I don't see them as flaws, more an opportunity to improve the situation. There is always a pile of foam on the floor of my shop after I "build" an ARF or RTF. I lost count of the changes that I made to my T-45 Goshawk--just like a lot of other people.My Vampire already has new wheels, a tab to lift the hatch and FG rods in the booms.

A word about those HK retracts in my Vampire. All three of mine began to fold under any weight or side load. I puchased a trike set of Eflite10-15 electrics to replace them - Really! I could have bought another Vampire for exactly that cost!

Anyway I decided to take one of the offending units apart and found out why they were "failing". There is a circuit board under the screw-cam that limits, or better said, stops the motor running when the limits are reached. This board was allowing the cam that opens, closes, and locks the gear to travel too far in the down position.

Upon closer examinatiion I deemed it was fixable mechanically. What had I to lose? I was not preapred to haggle with HK service dept or wait. If I busted them I did not care. I had new ones waiting to be installed.

Soooo, with no warranty issues I proceeded to "hack" out some palstic from where the board was situated and slid the board 1/32" away from the motor. Then I put in a shim/spacer with some CA to stop the little board moving back. Bingo! Now they lock down everytime. Don't know if the fix will hold up, but it was fun just doing it.

A word of caution. The board and parts are fragile and the wiring needed to be resoldered a couple of times due to breaking from too much handling. The board is a static part and normally never moves. Be smart and take an "iPhone" pic before you start moving things. I didn't, but fortunately I had three units to play with for wiring comparison;-)

Regards,

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson