Thread: Discussion turnigy ntm 50/50 motor
View Single Post
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:44 AM
Find More Posts by TTRotary
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,427 Posts
I'm a Scorpion fan but price is not everything. All these motors are made in China, but prices are significantly different: The Turnigy G46 ($45) is a copy of the Eflite Power 46 ($95) which is a copy of the AXI 4120/14 ($139). All three perform about the same and only the AXI has truly superior quality of components. Same goes for batteries - Thunder Power will happily charge you 3X what Turnigy will for what is basically the same battery.

Now, I happen to believe that Scorpion motors do truly use exceptional components and perform accordingly. But in other cases (especially Eflite / Horizon) you're just paying more for the name. Again, I'd take the amp claims on the NTM with a grain of salt, but Turnigy has no advantage in grossly overrating their motor either. All they will get for that is bad press. For the record, I have run my Turnigy Gold motors to their maximum spec numerous times and they are none the worse for wear. As long as you check the magnets for glue and threadlock everything, their stuff holds up.
TTRotary is online now Find More Posts by TTRotary