Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
8,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
I cannot say that my flying skills have outgrown my V400D02 just yet, but my mechanical skills certainly have. Mine was a reliable daily flyer, but I had to initially mod the hell out of it--metal gear servos, brushless main motor, brushless tail motor, all of the associated brushless ESCs and converters, and COCO's superframe. I never had the lockout problem like Integrity did, my Rx2614V and even my Rx2702V have been pretty solid performers (though Integrity's posts do give me anxiety about lockouts ). Modding the V400D02 so that it would hover decently taught me a ton about heli mechanics, enough to build my own 450 Pro for a fraction of the cost of anything Walkera has to offer. Once you have that knowledge, there is no going back. I absolutely love the design of the 450 Pro--it really is a tough, well-designed heli, and I got sick and tired of the fragile frame design of the V400D02.

I do like my V120D02S, however, I like it a lot. It seems a lot like a mini version of my 450 Pro (I realize all the reasons why it actually isn't, but it just seems that way to me). I like that it is fairly crash-resistant, easy to repair, and the gyro works pretty darn well in the wind. But, right out of the box, I had to replace the Rx. Crashed the heli serval times before it occurred to me that the gyro was not working correctly, and by that time the vendor was unwilling to replace the Rx for me--that whole deal was very annoying! Once that was taken care of, though, the heli flies great!

At any rate, based on what I now know, I would never buy a large RTF heli from Walkera (or anyone else, actually). By 'large' I mean anything in the 200s on up. Modern day Walkera micros appear to be pretty good (e.g., Genius, Mini CP, and V120D02S), so I wouldn't hesitate buy one if I wanted another micro heli.
Okay, granted so I am not just "bashing" (telling the truth about) Walkera. I have to say the V120D02S is probably their best all time release, with the V200D03 being a fairly good heli too. Basically being a bigger version of the V120. It's not bad. But the problem is they are just learner heli and really must be upgraded, like you said to fly good. After upgrades my V120 is absolutely sick. I'm sure anyone that flew my setup would be very impressed at the performance on my V120d02S as it sits right now with a Turbo ace 215, slipper clutch and 130X main blades as upgrades. Here is one of my best flights on the thing to show how good it can be. I'm no pro either. A lot of it ended up off frame, but most of the flips, rolls and inverted flight is in front of the camera, in frame.

V120D02S Pro 3D and inverted flight 11 04 12 (5 min 17 sec)

On a 450. The truth is, i would build a Walkera V450D01 airframe any day over the Align 450 pro airframe. Nothing wrong with the Align 450, but the frame is strong on the v450. I can't break it. As you saw in the video above, i've tried! The MAJOR difference between the two is the initial electronics that come on the V450d01. They are worthless. By worthless i mean, they will cost you LOTS AND LOTS of money in the long run. Otherwise the V450D01 mechanics are essentially Align V1 clones with their own airframe to fit on. With a set of savox servos and a good ESC. This heli has been flying great, even with the new 2702V with long antennas. But i can't wait to drop a beastX in it like my X5. Doing tick tocks, the 2702V gets wind blown from the side and drifts. The BeastX on my X5 seemed to gyro correct for the wind even with the tail pointed down, while doing the tick tocks. So the heli did not drift sideways while doing them, like on my V450.

Here is me tearing up the skies with my v450d01 with all upgraded Savox servos with custom ball linkages and servo horns for integrity and (close to) proper swash geometry. The CopterX 3550kv motor with a 13T pinion. A Hobbywing Platinum 40A ESC and the "revised" 2702V with long antenna wires. This was actually the video from my first tick tocks attempts on the v450, after gaining massive amounts of confidence from flying the bigger X5. So as you can see, even though the 2702V can be problematic. This one seems to be working great. Except of 3 instances the rpms dropped and i lost control for a split second then i came right back online with no issue. Very strange, but no crashes because of it. Just momentary stalls.

V450D01 - Tick-Tocks - 11-04-12 (5 min 25 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk