View Single Post
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
2,053 Posts
It took me a long time but mainly because I insisted for too long in making bad choices of models. Our problem is generally that those nice shiny boxes tempt us too much and we imagine we can fly anything straight away.

Sorry to ask but what stage are you at in your flying? Do you have an instructor or are you going it alone? If really in the primary stage are you flying on just rudder, elevator, motor or full four channel including ailerons?

A good instructor can shorten the learning process and reduce difficulties with aileron. If you are a lone flyer then it is much easier to fly just R.E.M. This is just because the aircraft if properly designed is (or should be) self stable. This means you can concentrate on direction, attitude, throttle setting etc. Nothing wrong with ailerons other than that it is yet one more thing to think about particularly in moments of stress.

It has been assumed over recent times that all "trainers" must have ailerons but this is no so. A good basic trainer, especially for the lone flyer, is better if it is of a reasonable size say about 1600mm span. Is nice and stable and in effect can fly hands off if well trimmed at average throttle power. This sort of model only requires steering and can get you used to looking at the attitude of the aeroplane, which direction it is going and which way it is turning, particularly at a distance.

Once all of this is second nature the move to ailerons is an easy transition. Once again the aircraft still should be easy to fly but somewhat more neutral in stability so that turns and rolls require input from the flier.

Once again I apologise if you already know all this but I thought a reminder might be worthwhile.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Last edited by David Hipperson; Nov 08, 2012 at 07:37 PM.