Thread: Discussion Pioneer Glider
View Single Post
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by Av8rshane
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
Pioneer Glider

I just got home from maiden flight on my pioneer glider. I got mine from readymaderc.com and got the kit for 49.99. I used an eflite 480 outrunner with a 40 amp esc, 2200 mah 3 cell. I set the cg to about 25mm aft of inboard leading edge. I think the motor is a little under powered and required me to put receiver where I think the battery should go and battery where the receiver should go to get it to balance. I am going to install a larger ( heavier) motor and see if I can put the battery aft and receiver forward and cure the underpowered situation.I used 2mm up on the ailerons and about 7mm up on elevators as per the instructions. The first launch it skimmed the grass before I got it pulled up but flight went well after that and had to trim it up during flight. Second launch went much better with trim set from the first flight. I would say for first flight you may want more like 10mm up on elevators.I will try to move the cg back to 30mm aft next time I fly it and see how that works out. Seems from other post that the cg is the key on this aircraft and the 40-42mm the plans call for is way too aft. It glides very well and requires a long flat glide to land. Drops a wing on stall so be carefull on slow speed low turns. I did a few loops and rolls with it and it requires you to get the speed up and on the loops had to add lots of right aileron to keep it from turning.
This airplanes doesn't seem to do anything great but looks cool and didn't break the bank and might be ok next summer in the thermals. Will post again after I stick the big motor in it and move CG aft 5mm.
Av8rshane is offline Find More Posts by Av8rshane
Last edited by Av8rshane; Nov 06, 2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling