Originally Posted by jwellsy
Have any of you guys replaced the stock motor shaft yet? What shaft did you use and where'd you get it?
I've had a few nose over landings in grass that knocked the plastic motor mounting plate glued to the firewall loose. I replaced that with a plywood firewall with blind nuts and epoxied the heck out of it into place. IT's all rock solid now except for a very slight wobble in the motor shaft that I want to get rid of.
I found an excellent thread here at RCG on motor shafts.
My Waco is developing it's own personality. I painted the decals with clear flat acrylic so they match the rest of the paint better, painted the back circular edge of the cowl black to hide the white foam, outlined the black cowl blister markings with a red sharpie pen to mimic the decals and smudged charcoal pencil down the fuse side from the cowl to mimic exhaust/oil staining.
The next thing to receive attention will probably be the wheel axles and pants, They are loose at the end of every flying session so far.
I've knocked the firewall loose many times also! I simply caulked around it using "Titebond" which is a newer siding and window sealant! I'm a siding contractor for 40 years and I know a good sealant when I see it
I added black scallops to the leading edge and then outlined them with red and did the red along ALL the remaining black on the rest of the fuse also! I too outlined the blisters on the cowl!
I can grab the motor shaft and wiggle the motor mount in all directions! It's not my shaft but the sealant joint which is flexible! It's like a vibration dampner!
I'm real close to 50 flights on her now!
Oh, I ripped the gear out last week and just glued a 5/8" thick piece of ply into the fuse and screwed the gear to it with bigger screws! It's pretty tough now