View Single Post
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:45 AM
Find More Posts by jackerbes
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
18,096 Posts
You've had some interesting experiences, that's for sure. And a lot of fun too I'd have to say.

When I see a spec that lists just Amps or just max and/or continuous Amps, and also says that the motor it OK with a ranges of cells counts like 2S-4S, it always leaves me with some unanswered questions. But if they list the power in Watts, especially of they say if it is a peak or continuous rating, I feel like a know a lot more about the motor's potential.

A lot of the on line sellers are either stupid about electric motors or are just trying to bamboozle potential buyers by just listing the "big numbers". Like the peak Amps from full throttle bursts, little or no mention of Watts, and no mention of it being a peak reading.

HK is especially bad about that. And they are so shallow or ignorant about some of the technical aspects of motors that they even advertise with videos that show them taking the burst readings that they later advertise without any mention of the fact that it was a current reading taken in a 5-10 second burst.

If they are going to give me fragmentary or misleading specs I prefer to see the power rating in Watts. With that, and the weight of the motor, I usually feel like I have a feel for how "optimistic" the reading might be.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes