Thread: Discussion 1866 Steam Screw Tug Weymouth
View Single Post
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by Lesco
Joined Apr 2006
8 Posts
Weymouth

The hull and superstructure on my Weymouth weighs 15 pounds and is built by the bread and butter system. I donít know how different a plank on frame might be, but if I were to do it again I would go with plank on frame. The drive system is steam and weighs 16 pounds. That includes a boiler 3 inches diameter by 8 inches long. It was dry when I weighed it, so a filled boiler would add a bit more; about another pound I would guess.
The article in Live Steam April 1975 is an interesting read. The original full size boat was built in1866 in Weymouth Mass.-hence the models name. The original drawings were in the Hart Nautical Museum of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and that is where Robert Freda took the tracings he used in his construction. He said that the original drawings were on a scale of one half inch to the foot, done on linen.
He used a Stuart Turner compound engine and took 300 hours to build using their castings. That certainly makes a battery powered system a lot less work. I donít think those castings are still available, but their Double Ten can still be obtained. However, I mentioned in my last write up that I got the same performance from their single cylinder V 10. However it does have the potential problem of stopping on dead center, and failing to start again under those conditions.
I did put a battery driven motor in my hull, and it took extra ballast to make up for the steam driven plant. I put the steam assembly back in but not having a reverse gear on it, the maneuverability is certainly much less than with the battery power.
The 1975 Live steam has a color of Weymouth on the front cover. I doubt if the magazine is still available eve in a used form, but I could make a copy of the cover and article if you wish Bob.
Hope this will be of help
Lesco is offline Find More Posts by Lesco