View Single Post
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:23 AM
Find More Posts by CodiJack
Joined Oct 2007
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=balanc

Out of balance cells become balanced while being charged , very often even if balancing is not active.
Yes Charles, your explanation, graphs shows very clearly when balancing should take a place (and where it is not needed). I agree it makes no sense during discharging for single pack. Thank you for above link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
But only if they were balanced before they were discharged. I think that Codi plugged a number of packs together in series (that were not used in series)
I thought we were talking about series cells.
As Gulio pointed, what I’m trying to do is balance at one time 3 different packs (same capacity, different charge sate), to one known state.
Later at one time, I want charge them parallel. In order to do so I was thinking I must have all 3 packs at the same state (lets say after STO mode) to avoid uncontrolled current during putting packs together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Connect the LiPolys in parallel with some cells at 3.7 some at 3.8 some at 3.9 and charge away,they will be fine
That is/was my bigger concern. If some cells are 3,7 some 3,9 or 4 what would be balance current when I connect them together?
Is it healthy for cells?
I was assuming current will be limited only by internal resistance of cells, but now I’m not really sure…

Julez in the thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

as a one of condition to parallel charging pointed out:
“…
-When the pack's state of charge is nearly identical
-When the packs have slightly different states of charge (<30% difference to each other, to be safe)
…”

Now I’m confused, should I “balance” packs before parallel charge or not really…
CodiJack is offline Find More Posts by CodiJack