View Single Post
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
6,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Yes, you are absolutely right. I knew it was wrong when I wrote it. The word 'angular' was on the tip of my tongue but would not come out.

Always fun to try different stuff. I actually bought one of those HK orange 3 axis gyros to play with myself. Great for powered planes, but I do see quite a few potential problems in a glider.

One problem with gliders is that you can't program spoilerons in when you use it. Also, I'm thinking the gyro would disguise tell tale signs that let you know what is happening in the air. For example, when looking for thermals, you will see one wing lift and the glider begins to roll out away from the thermal. The gyro would stop you from seeing this. I'm also thinking that during tight turns, it may induce tip stall on the inside wing as it acts to prevent the inside wing from dipping due to lower airspeed. It would also stop the glider from dipping it's nose as air speed drops in a straight line, which may lead to a sudden stall. Interesting to think about.
Yes, agreed, that's why I have not installed it in a glider, though the spoilerons could be done by just making one aileron go through the gyro!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield