Thread: Discussion 50% Christen Eagle
View Single Post
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Joined Jan 2009
1,785 Posts
On the First lower (left )wing panel, the tip laminations were wrapped about the ply carrier piece. Whole affair sort of "in the air" secured with nails driven vertically to hold the oozing balsa. This introduces a very messy affair right on ones work surface/plan. Also its rather hard to keep each strip centered. There had to be a better way.

I took the right tip carrier and traced it onto a piece of 3/4 ply, which I cut out and sanded to the inside of the line (made it disappear). When satsfied I had a good smooth representation of the tip circle, I covered it with a piece of plastic packaging tape. A form with a no stick surface. then glued each strip (4 total) in a neat stack around that and off the plan. when I romved it from its form it fit near perfectland no mess. I also discovered that by leaving the form long at both ends a single rubber band hooked on nails drivien in bothsides of the ply, it was easy to secure one end, then wrap the stack around to another pair of nails, where another rubber band held that end. Worked great!. and so much neater than nails driven into the worktop to hold the wet lams. Smooth semifinished tip bows not at all squirrely. it will also work for the upper wing tips.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit