Thread: Cool HK Mini-Swift
View Single Post
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by headlessagain
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
5,291 Posts
Stuffed my Mini Swift into terra firma (or should that be terror frima) Was flying again in winds that would have grounded most models and having a blast. The wind was blowing across the park in the direction a row of houses. I cut the power just above them with the plan to glide in for a nice touch down. Instead, the model just went into a vertical dive that no amount of elevator would pull out from. It disappeared behind a hedge and I heard a sickening crack. I walked round to see if I could find it, expecting to see bits of foam strewn everywhere. To my surprise I found it in a flower bed about 2" away from a brick wall. The canopy had popped off and the prop was broken but all in all she looked to have survived pretty well. Back to base and I noticed that there was a split in the fuse, the left hand side of the wing was torn & distorted and the live aileron hinge was damaged.
CA took care of the fuse and the old hot water trick took out all of the distortion as well as a couple of dings on the leading edge. A bit of CA on a minor wing tear and some blenderm tape for the aileron and we will be back in business.
Conclusion, these are tough little models. If it had been a total loss I would certainly have bought another without hesitation.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain