View Single Post
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by TB0384
TonyB
United Kingdom, England, Fareham
Joined Aug 2006
7 Posts
Viking 1E Set-up

I have rigged my Viking 1E using current UK F5B expertise (Joe Mouris) and off "my shelf" components. It has been flying all this summer :-
Hacker B50 7S
3000mAh 4S Turnigy 30C lipo
Mystery Budget Controller 200A
RFM 16 x 17 prop
Turnigy 5A Ubec
Turnigy 450mAh Rx Lipo

All up weight = 2.9Kg (so a bit on the porky side..)

Yep, I know that all calculations put this set-up way off the scale and it should quite rightly go poof and disappear in a puff of expensive smoke, but, it works really well. Joe has upgraded the software on the Mystery 200A Esc to the new George Shering version allowing for a ramp to ease the power in (every little helps!).
Motor runs are sensible and no longer than 6 seconds (most are under 5 seconds as when it picks up speed this 3M+ glider is no slouch). All motor runs are started when the glider has reasonable speed to lessen the effect and stress of stalled props on the motor (that alarming bark that some people find amusing!). This also reduces the stress on the set-up. Lastly, I allow at least 25 to 30 minutes between flights to allow for motor cooling.
If anyone needs help in getting the best bang for your buck, look no further than the excellent expertise of our UK F5B fliers. They fully understand large KW's of power....

If money were no object this is what I would use to, A) Fit in the Viking and B) Allow it to fly like a Stratair Hurricane E (Yes Santa, I want one badly...):-

Neu 1512 1.5D + 6.7/1 Gearbox
YGE300A Controller
Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S 45~90C Lipo Pack x 2 (6S)
GM 18 x 23 Prop
Turnigy 5A Ubec
Turnigy 450mAh Rx Lipo

Mmmmm.....

KRs, Tony B
TB0384 is offline Find More Posts by TB0384