View Single Post
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Sailing SC&H model HMS Surprise

Hello, I can finally make a report on sailing a 1/24th scale model of the HMS Surprise. My first experience with sailing this model was with Paratrooper as his guest. I had a chance to do what has to be the best ever model boat sail I had ever done. Ray had figured this all out by rigging the ship and trimming the sails to perform with a gentle touch of the controls. What I had a chance to feel was the freedom of being out on a real lake in a chase boat and enjoying the model on open water taking real course headings and the feeling of freedom. I had only sailed ponds up to this point while standing on the shore keeping the models in a confined area to keep my eye on them and not loose sight or control of boats. The most wild thing that had been done up to this point was walking the shoreline to get that feeling of sailing a long course.

I should say that since I have sailed with Ray I have not really enjoyed standing on the shoreline since. Once you fly you can not explain that feeling, so with that said I will now say this one time that if you own one of these SC&H models you must try and find a way to get onto the water with her. I may have found the answer for my needs. I have to load Surprise into the back of my enclosed pickup. This is a hobos method compared to having a full trailer for the ship, along with everything you need to live and be comfortable while enjoying being the skipper of your ship. I want to again thank you Ray and Rene for your hospitality and hot lunch for me and my buddy Paul, a day that I will always remember. To have Surprise in my truck I needed to find a place for a chase boat. The only spot is the roof for my kayak to witch I can load and unload by myself. I started looking for a boat that would be my perfect chase boat and I have found it in a fisherman's forum. The Kingfisher Kayak is an electric powered boat that is controlled by your feet. The fisherman who came up with this idea needed both hands free for fishing. Same here, I need both hands on my radio and to get a boat to go forward, backwards, stop, left and right all with the feet I was all in. I have now acquired one and have tested it on the lake to get the feel for the kayak. Its amazing and does just what its designed to do. This will run all day on one charge and not be the reason to head for shore. So I am now building my package to be the captain of HMS Surprise and sail right along side with my cameras and lunch to get a full day of sailing in my new Kayak companion.

I will report on my day of sailing Surprise for the first time next.

Gary
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Last edited by Pond Sailer; Oct 12, 2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: editing