View Single Post
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by acesimmer
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
In green grass, the Sukhoi wasn't even able to take off, sure the dried grass helps, but I've flown in compacted ground and asphalt and that is sooooooooooooo much easier. So no, not better than hard runway in any sense. Bumps and friction gets in the way of speed and besides the plane suffers a lot of stress. The dried grass compared to asphalt and alike is not a better but a very, very, worst.
If you can't take off easily on an asphalt runway you gotta be doing something very wrong

Thanks urrl
I would think that you have a big advantage due to you flying in denser air around sea level if I understood one of your previous posts. Yes, dry grass could certainly help a little to break ground effects. However, it will induce drag/friction that may counter the advantage. However, bouncing will help break ground effects if ground speed decent. At 4200 ft I just cannot get this bugger to rotate in a calm manner no matter what tricks that I try unless flying in 15 mph winds and up. When flying it at 2200 ft in Vegas it was so much better in the rotate and I could fly much more slowly and perform very scale like aerobatics when I was flying a demonstration flight. Landings at the lower altitudes where perfect and floaty. The top end was slower than my home field. At higher altitude she just does not have the same lift so tends to fall off the flips and high AOA maneuvers. My Sbach also demonstrated similar flight changes at the same field.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer