Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I like the balloon method, adds color for recovery if needed too! (I would suggest that the developers sell extra $1.50 cases in colors too!)

However, I'm not sure the front element of the D lens is sealed in place. I think I ruined mine by getting water between elements. (My grandson was driving my cam on a RC boat at speed through waves, a severe test).

FISHY - you pulled a D lens apart, was the front element sealed??
I doubt the lens is sealed other than by whatever contact force is present between the outer lens and barrel. BUT, I do think the balloon method might give some minimal water-proofing for a shallow submerging if the camera were first wrapped (front to back) with very clear plastic film sandwich wrap, pulled tight so no wrinkles but not so tight as to deform the plastic film. I've done this on water planes just for camera splash protection, and cannot tell the plastic film is there. And then if possible, add the balloon without causing the plastic film to crease or release.

It wasn't mentioned how the balloon is best installed, e.g. do you roll back the small "lip" end of the balloon until it reaches the aft end, then stretch the whole thing over the butt end of the camera and roll the lip end back over the camera to the lens?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank