Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by Paradise MT
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James P. Loughra View Post
The nice comment is appreciated.
One correction: The cost of the complete carbon and glass airframe is $150.00.
That includes Carbon & Glass skinned foam wings, stabs and fin , Glass Pod (2.4mHz friendly), carbon boom & carbon V-mount for the full-flying stab and a lot of work by the building crew.
The project was a group effort with lots of contributions by all participants. Tools like "The Gary Feland Notch Cutter", "The Joe Longmire Trailing Edge Allignmrent Fence" & "The Curtis Suter Weblet Notch Cutter" all played a vital roll in the creation of what looks like a successful project. I look forward to the completion of the remaining sailplanes.
The next project is still in the CAD file stage.
Jon Garber (age 14) wants an open structure, built up 100" (+/-) plane with a two piece wing, composite pod & boom & a V-Tail.
So Jon & I are working on a Pod & boom design that will have several options:
suitable for either pylon mounted wings or sholder mounted wings; booms to fit anything from 2 meter to 3.5 meter size planes; and slip-on empennage mounts for V-tails, T-tails & Cruciform tails.
The University of Montana Tech School has been very helpful with the projects.
The students and their instructors, Art Warner & Matt Moyer, are helping us with some CNC machining on the pod mold plugs.
The crew is composed entirely "seasoned citizens" with the exception of "Little Jon" Garber (age 14). We have a retired electrical engineer, a retired 4 term state senator/oil man, a retired physicist, a retired chemist, a retired FAA safety instructor, a retired Xerox electronics tech, a commercial pilot and several other brainey types who work together in complete harmoney. I think it must be because we are all old farts who shed our egos about 10-20 years ago.
It's great fun! Every club should have a program like this!
Jim

Jim,
I am "finally" getting around to making an entry on this forum. I just wanted to thank you for the detailed 'report' and for your expertise in helping others with building their gliders, (mine included). Great pictures! Those pix with Gary's glider standing on the end of it's wing sure makes it look HUGE! Love it! Trust your "off season" will be healthy and busy. I have a couple of repair projects that I hope to finish before spring, but I've been so busy with my new interim ministry that I seldom find time to 'play' of late.
Blessings,
Arlen
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT