Thread: Discussion Futaba 8FG(S)
View Single Post
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:07 AM
Find More Posts by TimBle
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,411 Posts
You're right I don't think it will be able to cope with S-FHSS and FHSS since there is no need with the 8J being a very specified radio in terms of features.
I added the bit on wait and see what happens with the next firmware update simple because there may be additional hardware that could be made available like a AnyLink type plug in module for FHSS/S-FHSS for legacy systems, like 8FG 10C, 12FG ,12Z and 14MZ.

Robbe has hybrid FASST/FASSTest plug in box for those systems, so theres nothing to stop a FHSS/S-FHSS module at the same time as a firmware update or later.

Hardware wise, I think the 8FG has reached its limit, and has really warmed the Futaba market to a flexible, updatable system at a good price.

The only features I could Futaba adding to 8FG is perhaps conditions in aircraft mode but its already probably the most flexible radio in the price bracket.

I think a FHSS/S-FHSS module would probably sell better in the 14MZ down to 10C owner base. I thnk most 8FG owners would simply upgrade to 14SG, especially the early adopters who have had their systems for over two years now.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle