Find More Posts by GSD
GSD
Productions
Greece
Joined Oct 2012
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
I had terrible problems with SS series ESCs. I got a batch that would self destruct if you tried to power the all up at once (from the LiPo). It was a design fault that causes a voltage spike from the inrush current.

Anyway... They have badly designed linear regulators. The regulators (two per ESC) don't have the normal current sharing resistors and are connected directly together. This means the even fight each other in the one ESC. Under load you can feel one heating up as it sources or sinks excess current to/from the other.

As such I would definitely recommend removing the power leads from M2 to M4.
I agree with you also! People say that ESC don't mind if they are linear and not switching but in anycase there is no way to prevent 'power leaks' from one to the other as it is impossible for them to produce exactly the same voltage... My recommendation is also to remove ANY bec cable except the one that you use... The only way to connect all of them is through some diodes (ie IN5402 or bigger) to have some kind of power backup in case of failure to the main ESC's BEC(and this ONLY if all BECs are connected to M1). Diodes will prevent the reverse currents to the ESCs
GSD is offline Find More Posts by GSD
Last edited by GSD; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:13 AM.