View Single Post
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:22 PM
Find More Posts by invertmast
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,820 Posts
Progress since I have gotten back home...

Bottom and top are all sanded to shape and the center section TE was completed. I also finished up the leading edge to inlet transition's.

So whats next? GLASSING! 1 month 12 days from Tree to the beginning of glassing. I like building "just" wings like this!

Instead of using 3/4oz glass, I wanted a bit more strength and ding resistance as the very soft/lightweight wing sheeting has already been cracked in a few places on the top. So I used some 2oz glass cloth. This also gives me the added piece of mind due to the balsa wing spars (I'm kind of wishing I would of put a strip of Carbon Fiber on the spars, to late now!).

First the bottom outer wing panels: (notice how one outer wing panel is about 2/3 the length of the F-14's fuselage mold!)

Then the bottom center section. All 1 piece of glass, not easy, but it worked!:

Also not pictured, I glassed a piece of 1/32" ply and 1/8" balsa. These will be used to cap the inlet/outlet holes in prep for molding. Also, the 6oz glass i needed for the mold arrived, and the Expensive glass for the Flying center section arrived as well. Also got the 6s 5000mah lipo's for the EDF units..

Tomorrow, i'll trim and flip everything over. The elevons on the wings will get glassed tomorrow, as I'm not going to glass the top of the wing till the elevons are removed as I still need to make up the hinge gap covers and install them. Most likely, the top center section and outer wing panels will get glassed saturday night or sunday afternoon.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast