View Single Post
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by Dereck
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
HI John
Hinges. I've always gone with trial-fitting even mylar hinges before covering. So, despite the instructions in my kit, I did it like I usually do. Found that the fuzzy covering on the kit hinges will only stand being pushed into the hinge slots once. Pull them out, put them back in, the fuzzy covering (there must be a more technical term - sorry!) peeled off the hinge plastic/mylar/whatever.

At which point, I tossed the kit hinges and used the ones I have a lot of in my building supplies. Suspect if you followed the instructions, the kit hinges will work fine though.

Receiver positioning. General groundswell these days suggests 2.4GHz receivers like to be well away from motors, ESCs, servos, wires and about anything else vaguely metallic. I'll probably put mine aft of the wing TE former, with a 'hatch' made from the balsa that fell out the first hole in the fuselage bottom sheet. Though I did toss the fuselage wire control runs in favour of my usual Sullivan 'Goldenrod' pushrods, which are all plastic.

Life does get in the way, doesn't it?

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck