Thread: Discussion FMS ASW-28 (2300mm)
View Single Post
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:10 AM
Find More Posts by StarHopper44
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
7,216 Posts
Yeah you were lucky. Especially if you didn't realize it until afterwards, thus weren't taking it easy on it.
Red-faced to admit, I did the very same thing the post-solo 3rd flight with my ol' Bix. *LOL* Luckily I was still 'learning the ropes' so was just flying the pattern & figure 8's so didn't pull any extreme maneuvers. Flew 2 LiPos out, & was re-bagging the wings to head home & there was the CF spar lying under one of the bags! Woah!! *LOL* I also think (and did then) it's a testament to the holding power of the 3M Dual Lock I chose for holding the butt ends of the wing together!

@Kostuk;
If you'll read back up several posts you'll see where 'StudioRS' & IIRC Peter also added metal rods (I remem Studs used an aluminum tent peg; I bought a pack last week to borrow his idea) for that purpose, as well as bending them to add 5-8 degrees of dihedral with reportedly good results.

In fact that brings up something. Thompson, how long was your 'peg' after you sawed off the hook? Reason I ask - I got mine from Wally-World, & they only had 2 types. The longer ones were steel with plastic 'hook things' & very heavy....& the aluminum ones (I bought) I fear might be too short once the hook's removed. I'm thinking if so, I might try to sledgehammer the hook out straight for the extra length.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member