Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:04 AM
Find More Posts by garyholland
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
I'm working on this design and wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to separate the red from the checker wingtips. I was thinking of doing the ripped away style, but not sure I'm sold on it. Ideas?
By painters tape, do you mean the normal masking tape used for car body? If so, the glue is far too agrresive and (as aerolite has already pointed out) will definately take the paint off. It is however, good for masking on EPP and about the only thing that sticks well.

I have masked straight on top of paint using Frisket and had good results. The only reason I try to steer clear of doing this now, is it's a bit of a leap of faith and you risk ruining a bunch of hard work if it does pull the paint. Best advice, is to do a test piece and see how it comes out? Just make sure you give the colour you are masking on plenty of time to dry.

Another thing you could try is thin Mylar sheet, which, looking at your design, should be just rigid enough to weight down rather than pinning. Being clear it also makes alignment easier.

Nice scheme btw. I look forward to seeing the completed model.

Gary
garyholland is offline Find More Posts by garyholland