Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
11,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
I have heard that some Chinese knock offs are made at night in the same factories as the legit or original product is made during the day but the guts will be different.

This practice was exposed with the Spektrum receiver clones.
The practice was exposed long ago well before clone Spekie's ...

Various well known world leading brands are made in Chinese and other less copyright controlled locations. Factories effectively running two or more production lines ... the 'genuine' aritcle and the clone. Quite often the two are same.... even down to logo's on the case. But the difference is in the programming ... commisioning. I know of two famous brands that the firmware coding is held strictly by the Brand holders and not available to the factorys. The factorys send the hardware to the Brand holders who then program up ... the factory has their similar but not same programming they install into their clone.
That is why you can buy a same looking clone but it cannot log into the online stores / services of the original product ... hardware is same - but firmware is not.

One of the two I know - the R&D manager told me himself of the practice ... my question was "if you know - why do you not change factory ... stop the cloning ?" His answer was simple ... because of their name and the withholding of the firmware - the genuine product is still sought after and holding it's market. The price of production is so low, the on-time production etc. ... all works out favourable. The clone is seen exactly as a clone and actually has not so great an effect on their market.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife