Thread: Discussion 50% Christen Eagle
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Joined Jan 2009
1,789 Posts
Started the lower left wing today. Got the beveled rails fitted in place and nailed down to the buildng board. These elevate and level the stucture off the board so that the full symetrical ribs can be added without rocking. As I cut the individual parts from the 3mm light ply carrier, I laid each one down on the plan. A full size drawing of every precut spar webbing piece is provided. However to my dismay EVERy WEB is too long,according to the parts drawings and rib layout. This could be shrinkage in the paper plan but I've noted some matching webs for corresponding bays wherefront spar and rear spar web pieces are not the same length. I've also noted that the CNC routing is of generally poorer fit in tabs and slots than those exhibited while assembling the fuselage. This is a high dollar kit. I t should be better engineered, or at least corrected so there are less fit problems at every turn!

So ,now do I build to the plan(a Lot of sanding!) or do I go with the precut assembly? I think I''ll go with the computer cut fit, as much as I can. I'm guessing this will accumlulatvely increase the total span by approx 1/4"-3/* (6-9mm) over the panel depicted on the plan. I figure if I keep everything parallel to rib layout shown, it won't be a problem. There is plenty of spar length in provided materials. Another concern is the correct dihedral fxed by spacing of the first three ribs. But maybe no big deal? I'm operating under the assumption that the CAD drawings were correct when originally rendered but that the CNC cut parts are "more" correct now.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Last edited by packardpursuit; Oct 23, 2012 at 08:53 PM.