View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by cmoulder
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Hi, Andy:

465kv seems a bit underpowered for this model (assuming you've got the 72-inch version).

Admittedly, mine is a bit overpowered with a 200kv motor and 5000/10S, but it is not insanely fast nor too heavily wing-loaded. Mine weighs about 12-3/4lbs and is not prone to tip-stall and slows down nicely for landing with the CG farther back, around 13cm.

A joiner could be made easily for the elevators, or a split pushrod could be used. If you use a very light power set as mentioned above, you are indeed going to want to get some weight out of the tail in order to achieve CG without adding lead to the nose. The stock tail gear is also VERY heavy and you might need to find a lighter replacement.

I squeezed in 5 flights today between rain showers. The new oleo gear worked pretty well but on the third flight one of the big solder joints gave out partially upon landing, causing yet another scuff on the spats but doing no major damage. Did a field repair with some light copper wire, butane torch and solder and was back in business. Although the other solder joint held solid all day, when I get a chance I will wrap it with light copper and solder it again as well.

Bob
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder