View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:28 PM
Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,104 Posts
That was a very real problem for me also. Litteraly had to sweep the remains of several pages off my scanner after saving the info. Somehow, a couple mags from a given year, like say 1946 are still in good condition, but one just a month later or earlier fall apart if you breath too heavy on a page. Just wish I had the scanner about 5 years ago when I first had to start purging my collection. I had to throw out about 3 times as many mags as I got to scan. Had the better part of almost 60 years of model plane and train mags, but age and pests like mice and silverfish got into some of them. I especially regret losing a couple from the late 30's, and an old Air Trails from Dec 1941 that had a bicture of a B-17C and a caption that said "With Planes like these, no one would dare attack us!" I almost cried when I went to the box in my garage rafters, saw the hole in it, and opened the box to find a recently abandoned mouse nest. The little monsters also invaded a Top Flite red box F4-U I had, wrecking and contaminating most of the balsa and plans.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears