View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by jevs
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2012
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Evidently, you missed my point. I never suggested that anyone should use an 80s tx today. I mentioned my vintage FP-7FG/E simply to illustrate that quality transmitters usually last for decades, and that module-based rigs are, for the most part, future-proof.

My 20-year-old Futaba 8UAF will fly a CPPM bird, and it has many features that have only recently began to show up on the flagship radios of Spektrum & some of the others - even though it was Futaba's entry-level programmable tx back then. Plus, it's module-based, so it is also future-proof.

Joel
I assume the module changes it to 2.4Ghz (ignorant on Futaba modules)? Thats the main thing I would consider aside from needing CCPM. Cost of modules is another consideration (I seem to remember Futaba modules being pricey..not sure now). A couple modules could equal a new radio.

There was a time long ago that I got an old futaba radio from my dad and I could not legally use it any more due to the frequency laws. It was a creme colored four channel box. The older radios are good quality compared to some of the junk today, I definatly agree. I got rid of my JR because it was not 2.4GHz. Other than that, it would be just as good or better than the DX6i (definatly better made and ergonomics).
jevs is offline Find More Posts by jevs