View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:55 AM
Find More Posts by John Wright
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
476 Posts
Thomas

I used the 6 " dubro solid wheel as did Heiner and Ralph. They are lighter than the inflated ones and less to worry about! Incidentally they show very little wear.

One thing you will find is that with the wheel so large that when it is lowered it will steer the plane in the air, one of the reasons why we delay lowering it till the last minute.

The retract units I use on all my larger planes including the Horten is the excellent Behotec C50 units. They have worked without any issues apart from the first 2 flights. I found that the strain of landing bent the brass cross pin that locks the retracts allowing the cylinder to be slightly distorted allowing air to leak slightly. It only happens during taxiing and I got round this by fitting a Jettronic electronic valve that empties the air from downstream of the valve after a short period. They are brilliant and solve leaking cylinders.

Incidentally I am in the process of converting one set of these retracts to electric. The 4 wheel bogies on the Arado 555 are very heavy and I cannot raise them in flight on pneumatic.

John
John Wright is offline Find More Posts by John Wright