Thread: Discussion 50% Christen Eagle
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Joined Jan 2009
1,793 Posts
Well, I got the fuselage turtle deck sheeted. It's 3 mm (1/8") thk balsa sheet. A very pleasing excersise. Several little things went wrong, but overall am pleased with the result. Stab mount tubes were finalized before the sheeting. Today I got the cowl fittings installed on the firewall and got the cowl drilled and test fit. All fittings and bolts will be removed and kept for re-installation after everything gets epoxy coat and or spar varnished in the interior.

Plan to start interior epoxy and FG tape of the major ply joints tommorow. This will mark end of progress on the fuslage for now. Need the lower wings to set the fillet pieces. So I guess I can finally start the wings.

Have noticed thay the plan shows tail brtace rigging attach at the aft edge of the fin is indicated higher than the front fin brace. In looking at You tube vids of same aircraft a couple of fellows have put the aft attach point at the very top of the fin. Photos of real aircraft, show the aft rigging point at same hty as front. I'm making this one more scale.

I have dry fit the central wing strut assembly (cabane ) but the intructions are very vague. The template is near useless and nothing fits well. . As the lower wing position is fixed in construction and the interplane struts come pre-assembled I'm going to wait until the upper wing is assembled. then will jig, rig, drill and bolt everything at once
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit