View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by herk1
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,743 Posts
Finally installed the E-flite nose retract in my F/A-18. I shouldn't have put it off so long. This morning, the wobbly/dodgy stock nose strut sent my model suddenly careening off the runway on takeoff roll, and when it hit the edge of the grass at almost takeoff speed, it not only tore out the nose retract (well, that kind of did me a favor...), but it broke the nose of the jet clean off, near the front of the retract well.

To prep for installing the E-flite nose retract, I dremeled down the foam underneath where the torn-out plywood mounts were....excavating all the way down to the "floor" (where the center of the old retract sat). Then I dremeled down another 1/8" to make room for the 1/8"-thick, one-piece plywood mount that I cut.

I found that the stock servo pocket for the nosewheel steering worked perfect. I hot-glued an HS-45 servo in there (my favorite servo to use for nosewheel steering) and hooked it up to the retract's steering linkage using one of the pushrod/clevis parts supplied with the F/A-18 kit for the optional rudders...which was the perfect length (photo).

I just came back from a test flight (actually I flew two flights). Everything worked perfectly. Nice to finally have rock-solid retracts all around. And steady/reliable ground steering.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1