Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
8,597 Posts
Canopy Durability Liner

Canopy Durability Liner

For a long time i used to line the inside of the V450 with packing tape. This helped keep it from shattering, splitting, or cracking. I once dropped a canopy out of my hand and it landed nose first on the tile. It literally shattered the nose! Ever since i have been lining the inside to prevent that brittle reaction from happening.

After 2 of my friends broke their smart phone screens. While i have dropped mine dozens of times without breaking mine. I started to wonder why my phone, being the same exact phone was so much more resilient. I started asking them about how they protected their phone. The irony is BOTH use a very expensive otter box and BOTH broke their screen inside the otter box. This was fascinating to me because i was using a $8 rubber jacket thing. It just kind of griped over the back of the phone. I'm sure this rubber material absorbed some of the impacts. But there is no way that was the only thing that saved me! The one guy used a screen protector, that was actually still attached to the shattered screen. The other was using no screen protector. Where as i on the other hand was using a $20 military grade Invisishield screen protector. Anyone who has ever used one of these knows they are thicker, denser, and nearly rubber like in consistency. I'm positive that rubber like coating being tightly sealed against the glass was enough to absorb and nullify most impact shockwaves. Not only that but the rubber sticking to the glass also strengthens it just by being there. kind of like how two pieces of paper can be that much harder to fold than one.

Anyway, i decided it's time to try and mimic that result with my Walkera V450D01. First rubber like coating experiment will/has been applied. I am trying this spray on rubber coating. The particular brand i used was called plasti-dip

The spray dries just like rubber and sticks like paint. Unfortunately it kind of messed up the paint i put on the outside of the canopy. So you should definately coat the inside first. Clean the outside with alcohol to remove any overspray before it dries. Then paint the outside after allowing the plasti-dip to dry overnight. Here is what it looks like, at least for this one that was already painted. If this works out, it will hopefully beat lining the inside with packing tape.

UPDATE:
I have lined a few canopies so far and they seem to at the least keep the canopy from shattering. Both on my V450 and V200/ 4f200. The nose shattering was especially annoying. This no longer happens. Then you can CA glue back together the other parts, usually still held together by the rubber liner. My canopies are definitely more durable after being lined. But they still unfortunately crack and break. Here was a result i recorded and posted a few posts down: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23237831
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Apr 07, 2013 at 10:47 AM.