Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by Jovanx
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roux View Post
When i moved to my heavy low wing warbird, i would often overshoot the turn onto final as the plane would continue to travel base even through the nose was already pointing at me. The natural response to this visual input was "pull harder" resulting in more of the speed bleeding off... bam! tip stall, onto its back and into the dirt - airspeed, airspeed, airspeed. This could have been avoided by starting my turns sooner and keeping them smoother.
This is good advice, and I'm finding that making smoother turns works for me as well. That's what it would do if it was in free-flight mode. Another reason people rush turns is because so many planes are being flown in spaces that are a little on the small side. Instead of flying at airports, the modern electric RC pilot is often flying in small parks, back yards, front streets, and indoors. That means that trees and buildings often force us to turn quicker and tighter than we should.

On the subject of inertia, and unstable fighter jets and other high-powered 3D flying machines, I think they are stretching the definition of "airplane" and might be more comparable to helicopters and rockets. As they squirt about in the sky, they are less susceptible to wind and more to inertial forces. They are often deliberately flown in a stalled state.

In the case of a "normal" airplane that needs to keep up it's speed to avoid stalling, I do not believe inertia is a factor whether turning upwind or downwind.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx