Thread: Yippee! HK Specter 1800
View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,221 Posts
Thanks, SW. I might, indeed, get another Passer some day but I have a few more I would like to add to the hanger first. At least I got my 3D plane. I ended up going with a EPP Yak 54 and despite many years of rust since I last flew a really capable "fun fly", as we used to call them, it has already exceeded my expectations. It sure is nice to hover in virtual silence instead of with a shrieking glow engine. Now I just have to regain the confidence to try it at less than 100 feet!

Then, since winter is closing in, I'll probably go with a warbird next before getting a really light floater or a scale sailplane. I'm leaning towards a scale bird first since I plan on optimizing it for scale sailplane aerobatics and can fly it in dead air over a nearby lake once it freezes solid. In any case I'll be using the Specter and my foam ASW 28 to test out the electronics before risking more expensive gliders.

Speaking of electronics: HK introduced a new "9 gram" metal geared servo that intrigues me. On paper it looks like a metal gear version of the HXT900 or TGe 9. While I'm not eager to be a beta tester I might risk $10.00 on a pair. I wouldn't risk a $300.00+ sailplane but I could see using them instead of plastic geared servos on my cheapies.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...log_Servo.html

Finally; thanks for the edits, guys. We're just here to have fun.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh