Find More Posts by studioRS
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Hi Thompson,
I've booked & been working my way thru ur 'glassing' process.
Maybe sound like a dumb question but, do you perchance know the approx. thread-count of the sheet fabric you used? In lieu, an estimation? Or would any cheap hence thin fabric work? I've looked at some in a linen shop & maybe it's winter stock but they were looking pretty heavy. Have meant 3 times now to check Wally World & keeps slipping my feeble mind!

BTW - on that fancy upholstery job you did on the pilot's seat?
I'm thinkin'.... (You ready for this??) ......leopardskin!
*LMBO*
The fabric used, I'm going to guess, is around 300 thread count. A summer weight sheet fur sur, possibly part linen. It was old, had been relegated for garage use and basically was already cut up in smaller pieces. Thinner, flexible and tight weave thread count would be best. It does soak up the CA well, and this is what I've used. I was able to cover three 2m sailplanes with one sheet.

The beauty of using the linen bed sheet (compared to fiberglass cloth) is it stays together well, can be taken back off for repositioning (multiple times) after using 3M Super77 spray adhesive, and can be pulled and stretched over curves after securing one edge with CA. It also soaks up the CA which also bonds to the foam at the same time. The thickness when this all happens give you a bumpy surface after initial application. This is ok, as you will sand this down smooth.

Haaa, you noticed the ASW-28 seat fabric!! that's the real deal. Found a photo of a real ASW-28 interior and created the seat fabric swatch.

Hope this helps, Cheers Thompson

studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Oct 16, 2012 at 08:25 PM.