View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,359 Posts
Roy,

Many thanks for the swift reply and the links. At this stage, it's really an intell gathering excercise. The basis for which is that I wish to fly more often and it seems that when the wind is on my preferred slope (which is 40mins drive away...), I'm at work etc. Living in the countryside, it shouldn't be that difficult to find a field from which to fly from - hence my interest in e-power (less set-up time and space than with a winch or bungee).

Once I've got an idea of the sort of set-up typically used to successfully launch a 3ish m, 2.5ish kg, fairly fast sailplane, I can then decide whether I can fit the required kit into one of my existing fuselages or whether I need to make new fuz moulds. Or indeed, if an elegant 'power pod' (Schambeck-style http://www.klapptriebwerk.de/produkt...power/?lang=en ) has merit.

As to the desired climb rate, I think something between the two is probably the way to go. I have a number of 80A ESCs not currently (every pun intended ) in use and would like to use them to keep costs down. This clearly limits climb rate. On 4s, using 65A (to give the ESC a little safety margin) that's about 1KW. About twice your min rate of 200W/Kg so at least they'll be usable.

Thanks again.

PS Tom - thanks for the link
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Last edited by Shedofdread; Oct 16, 2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Other posts posted while typing mine