View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by Falco peregrinus
what's the motor for?
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Dec 2005
154 Posts
I Failed!

First - Thanks to my DESS buddies for putting on the best, and my favorite, contest ever. Field was perfect; I even walked around barefoot for a while. BBQ and Brats were great, but I missed the ribs because I lollygagged around too long. Conditions were perfect. Friday was a beautiful test/tune day, which I needed because I hadn't flown since our practice contest 2 weeks prior. Saturday gave us a little wind which is what I like to fly in, followed by a calm evening where you throw and don't touch the sticks. Sunday was cold/cloudy/windy enough to make me use even the smallest bumps that I would usually ignore. Most of all it was great to hang out with everyone again and see a few new faces.

I started off better than usual; my first two rounds weren't drops so I was excited about that. I fumbled 3 of the 4 of the turn-around tasks and got high 900’s. The only one I managed a 1K in was the 3/200; it was terrible air so I took my time to make sure I knew where I was going and tried to throw like Gavin. Lost 12s but got the round.

Poker round went good for me too; I borrowed the Oleg/Kyle strategy (although it landed Oleg in a tree this time). I felt there was air for 9:57 but didn’t want to risk using a drop round yet. So I called low (2 min) to scout and if I found big air I could go 7:55 and only loose a few seconds if someone had called 9:57, and if I didn’t find anything I could fly it as 4x2 plus a 1:50. Well during the 2min flight I didn’t find anything big, but there was nice comfy air at the N treeline. Called the 7:55 and headed back to the N treeline – Where’d My Air Go! It was useless to come back so I left the treeline and went deeper over the open area to the NW and finally hooked up. Took a few different thermals to make the eight minutes but that was my most memorable flight.

Oh Yeah – I Failed! I usually only set one goal when I go to contests - to have fun while catching a few thermals. That’s it! Well this time I set another which meant that I cannot have a bad round, I will not land out, and I will throw harder. Why? Because I had to beat the Carolina Crushers and I knew every point (or lack thereof) counts! Just something about their name got to me… Well that didn’t work so well, but at least they didn’t win Thank You DC Lame Ducks!

I still had fun - that's what matters!

fd3
Falco peregrinus is offline Find More Posts by Falco peregrinus
Last edited by Falco peregrinus; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: ...