Thread: Discussion Japanes Ball Drone.
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by corocopter
Joined May 2010
436 Posts
Flying Can UAV

Here is a simple craft, the designer emailed these fact to me.

3 piezo gyros, no HH used. (I'm not so sure I believe that no is HH used, but that was his claim in the email, he said he had problems with HH and did not choose to use that feature, thus it is using only the P term for all stability control)
Digital servos,
Polished carbon sheet -very thin- (mirror finish); sections are cut out out to lighten the craft, then it is rolled into a tube and glued.
Large single propeller of very light weight design
Lipo power.
End designer notes:

After looking at all of his U-tube postings of this device, it looks like it has only 4 control vanes, maybe Brandano or others, can take a look and report back what they see.

The craft is very stable, fairly easy to construct and it looks very structurally strong and rigid. I'd say this would be a good starter design for anyone building a sphere.

Other than "roll on to the ground landings", the sphere shape has no real utility and it severely limits "constricts" the distance between the CG and the control surfaces, thus making the sphere very difficult to control and dampen oscillations.

"The Can UAV" has many fewer parts to build and break, and it looks as stable as the original Japaneses sphere, but it uses very low cost parts, no counter rotating prop is used.

Kelly

UAV Test Flight - Flying Can Design 2009 (3 min 15 sec)

UAV Test Flight - Flying Can Design 2009 (1 min 26 sec)

UAV Test Flight - Flying Can Design 2009 (2 min 0 sec)
corocopter is offline Find More Posts by corocopter