Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:39 AM
Find More Posts by mikegbogh
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,055 Posts
Ready for molding

Hi All

The last post basically finished of the construction and preparation of the Plug. For those that are following this thread is a comprehensive how to build a molded glider, this is what works for me , other methods work for other people. The beautifull shape you now see, is refered to as the "form" or shape, and once its been used it gets binned, sad really.

However some major work has been done on sunday and finished late, real late. so here are the steps, the mold was totally waxed, then a splitter board made of some melamine faced chipboard. this was maked and cut.
Next some sanding was required to get the plug to fit snugly in the splitter board. Lots of time was then spend getting it exactly midway, some of my little drilled marker holes, really helped with alignment. Spirit level confirmed accuracy and it was time to stick some glass beads on and fill the small gaps with modelling putty. I heat the Putty ,press it in place and later scrape it of flush with a mixing stick , so as not to mark the plug.
A good round of wax next followed by just the plug being polished off and buffed.
The now shiney plug half is wiped with a smooth layer of PVA red release agent.
Next post Gel coat time, anybody ever planning to do a build like this note this is decision time, once the gel coat goes on there is no stopping,
so you need
a. Plenty of time.
b. Plenty of resin
c. Plenty of Glass cloths
d. Plenty of gloves.
I started at 16-00 Hrs which was actually too late.
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh