Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Kevin,

Looking forward to the video! The B3D is absolutely uncanny in stronger winds. Was that on 2s or 3s? My record so far is 30 MPH gusting to 37 MPH - but that was on 3s. I don't think I'll be breaking that one anytime soon. The peak G-loads were so extreme that the plane suffered significant structural damage during the flight - which included stationary snaps, rolls, KE, and touch & goes - plus a few big-air loops & WOT passes. Three popped flying wire sets, a severed interplane strut, multiple creases in the wings, and stress-related damage around the elevator & aileron horns. But anything up to around 30 MPH seems to be just fine. I've got quite a few hours of wind-surfing in 25+ MPH winds on mine, and she's still hanging in there.

Joel
Hey Joel!!!...I was flying from a confined space (my back yard) and was afraid to do anything but fly level...My plane is on 2S with a 5030 GWS prop...My batteries are 300mAh 35C NanoTechs...I'm POSITIVELY CERTAIN that had I been using stock batts and prop my plane would have been blown down wind into the next county!!!...I don't think that I would have gotten the plane back when flown down wind with a stock setup...My plane did execute a 1/2 roll uncommanded in the wind as shown in the vid...As you know when winds are measured they are at ground level and up higher the winds are stronger...When I flew winds were actually 25mph with gusts to 32mph...At approximately 2:25 into the vid you can hear the winds kick up to almost a hurricane roar as the mic did it's best to muffle the wind noise...

Here's the caption in the video description:

"Winds were actually 25mph and gusting to 32mph at ground level...WInds up higher are much faster...The Beast doesn't go much faster than 40mph so when I launched I was scared I wouldn't get the plane back when I went down wind!!!"

You can hear my commentary in the vid...Now that I've flown the Beast 3D in these strong winds I can say that at least I tried it...Now, I'm not going to fly my plane in these winds again as I can say "Been there, done that!!!"...

Kevin

Beast 3D 20 30MPH winds (3 min 8 sec)
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene