View Single Post
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
Find More Posts by herk1
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,742 Posts
I got my 3600 4S batteries in the mail, and they work out just right for fit and CG. I position the 3600 all the way to the back of the battery compartment (until it touches the "V"-shaped back side) for correct CG, just like I had the 3300 when the more lightweight stock power system was in the back. It's nice that I can use bigger batteries with no weight on the tail needed for CG. When I had the same power system in the Habu, I had to put an ounce of lead on the tail to balance, even with the 3300....because the bifurcated intake design of the Habu was more restrictive.

And since I will be using three different battery sizes, I cut down the aft one of those molded-in battery compartment obstructions to the floor, and put stickyback velcro on the floor. Plus I installed a second battery strap. So I don't have to hassle with different-sized chunks of foam to restrain different batteries.

I glued the sidewinders on, and glassed the bottom fins, thinking that would protect against scrapes when tipping. Unfortunately, it didn't. I had a problem with tipping on one takeoff, after one main wheel got knocked a little askew on the previous landing...and the asphalt scraped right thru the glass job! I should have just imbedded some lite ply skids in the bottom fins instead of glassing.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Last edited by herk1; Oct 14, 2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: added photo