Thread: Discussion Beginner 3S/4S EDF
View Single Post
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:52 AM
Find More Posts by voxel
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,991 Posts
I'd say the Dynam Meteor and Parkzone Habu are great first EDFs. Big, floaty, can take abuse unlike smaller EDFs. Landing gear is a major plus as much can go wrong in take off (I.e CG or lack of thrust issues).

Phase 3 F16 is good (plenty of power with low wing load), but is so quick if you aren't use to the speed or you screw up the hand launch - it's toast. It's EPS. It's easy to glue back together without warping issues.

Don't care much for the 50mm SkyAngels/JPowers. They are underpowered, small (you'll lose orientation), and when crashed don't fly right unless you perform surgery on them. My 50mm Mig(RIP) arrived with a warped tail and took extra work to fly straight. The 20a ESCs and 850mah batteries for those are throwaway items unlike for a Meteor/Habu/F16 where you'd reuse the parts in your next plane.

I love my Freewing Panther but there's no landing gear and after a crash (loop gone wrong) it no longer takes off nor flies stably. Great flyer before I ruined it. The Mig and F86 from Freewing are also quality but dangerous to launch for a EDF newbie. If the CG is wrong you're screwed.

About to buy a Durafly Vampire myself in the future. 70mm allows for many hop ups.

Freewing Rebel/Cobra is another cheapie EDF that might make for a good first jet.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel