View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
United States, CA, Lompoc
Joined Nov 2010
4,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
I'm a little late to the game here. I don't look at this forum very much.

There should be a starter solenoid someplace. The battery will be hooked directly to the one side of the solenoid and the other side will go to the starter. The solenoid is controlled by your regulated supply through a common switch. The solenoid should draw no more that a couple of amps when engaged. There is no need to regulate the voltage to the starter. There should be no need for any other switch in the system other than is what already there.

How did you fair on the rules question?

Ken
Thank you for the input but these karts aren't like normal vehicles. It is an all loss battery and ignition system. There is no alternator, magnetos or anything maintaining ignition or charging battery. The motor uses a built in mechanical fuel pump, and water pump. The digital ignition runs off the battery and works by changing the timing throughout the rpm range to maintain a strong and longer lasting powerband.

It is otherwise simple. There is a pushbutton that powers starter, and an ignition switch which essentially arms the system and turns ignition on. These both Y off of the same power, which is why my plan doesn't consist of any relays, there are none!
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14