View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by Caper123
CapeFlyer
United States, MO, Scott City
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
This is an old thread but a persistent problem. In my case the nose gear broke but the plastic & wood housing were intact, only a bit loose. The looseness was fixed with some hot melt glue. Replacing the nose gear was tougher. The replacement comes with the plastic horn which tightens to the wheel shaft via a small screw. There's litte room to manuver inside the plane so I removed some of the foam in the cross member just above where the shaft ends using a serrated kitchen knife. This gave room for fingers to hold the horn. I then took a long thin philips head screwdriver and inserted it in the housing hole and slowly pushed it up and through the top of the plane making a small hole. Removing the screwdrive I reinserted it through the new hole in the top of plane. Loosen the screw in the horn to it's almost falling off. Put the new nose gear in (minus the housing) and while holding the housing press it into the horn (screw facing up). Then tighten the screw with the driver. Only one small hole was made in the plane, in the fuselage top between the windshield and the cowl and the bit of crossmember foam removed had no negative structural effect.
Caper123 is offline Find More Posts by Caper123