Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:49 AM
Find More Posts by RealGambler
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambalunga View Post
With slower frame rate is the difference indeed evident with a PPM like chema. With PPM (Hitec, FrySky etc.) one servo after the other response. 3x20ms=60ms with a 120°swashplate. With pitch move the rotor to the one side down or high and then back. A looping becomes more a spiral with Stone Age PPM. The effect is even visible with a four servo evelon wing, with PPM see you the delay between the first and the last servo. Same effect a Looping is not a Looping when you not make some unnecessary control inputs to comensate this. Ask maybe a RC car driver about latency. With low latency has he a consistent direct turn-in point, with PPM varying random the turn-in point.

But the 3 1/2 digtal throttle control flyer realized this sure not.
Agreed, but that NEVER mean you could not fly any old technology and not be happy. I was driving RC cars when Tamiya started producing them and trust me, nobody ever talked about latency back then. When I started flying airplanes, my only worry was if a truck driver would start talking on his C.B. (or if somebody else would turn on his Tx on the same freq), not about how fast the signal would get to the servo (servos that were awefully slow back then anyway). This was driven to us by marketing, more than what we felt when flying. Sure enough, we were not doing pirouettes or tick-tock with heli back then (heck, there was not even gyro to hold the tail for us) so today, this is becoming more important. New servos are faster and digital, there's more electronic onboard. But again, for 95% of the RC users, those very thight timing are not the end of the world. Heck, some of them still fly with 256bits resolution transmitter and are happy!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler