Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW POWER View Post
The COG is in a different place to the COL (center of lift) The COL is just behind the COG and so without the tail the plane would nose dive.
I think I got that right if not please correct me
I'm not an expert in aerodynamics but I think you right on first statement and wrong or partially right on second.

Many years flying in flight simulators I went thru painting, scenery and aircraft modelling, tuning of aerodynamics and writing gauges. I got some knowledge from that hobby.

COL (center of lift) is fixed for particular airfoil and you cannot change it's location without replacing the wings. But you can change location of center of gravity by moving of weight distribution in aircraft. This is why in real aviation they calculate the map of passenger and baggage distribution between cabin and cargo sections and in R/C aviation we moving batteries or adding a ballast.

So, the second statement could be as right as wrong. This is why in docs or forums for Bixler or SkySurfer CoG published as 61mm. Just to be sure that this aircraft will remain as glider.
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999